Dental implants in Springfield are among the different treatments which are used to replace the missing and damaged teeth. Though the whole process takes months to complete, it has more benefits to its share than the risks and side effects.
How long does it take?
In general, the dental implants take from few months to many months because nobody is walking out with the implant after the first visit to the dentist or after the first surgery. The whole process is done in stages:
• Jawbone is examined if it is ready for the surgery. In case of bone not thick enough or is too soft then bone grafting is done. Bone grafting either the artificial bone or the one from patient’s another body part is placed with the bone. It is then left for healing.
• Once the bone is ready, titanium screws are drilled into the bone which forms the root of the implant. After drilling, gums are left for the healing during which they grow around the titanium root forming a firm grip.
• The next stage is to place the abutment which is the piece on which the crown will be placed in the future.
• After placing the abutment, artificial teeth are created similar to the natural teeth of the patient. The final teeth are referred to as the crown and attached to the abutment completing the process of dental implants in Springfield.
Is it painful?
Dental implants in Springfield give the discomfort like any other surgery, and therefore anesthesia is used during the surgery. Until the anesthesia is effective, the patient only feels some vibration of the tools and the little pulling. By the time the effect of anesthesia is over, only little after surgery discomfort is felt. This discomfort is also relieved soon because of the medication which is provided after the surgery. Most people report that the whole procedure is often less painful than their anticipations.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
• One of the important advantages of dental implants in Springfield is that the teeth look just like the natural teeth and hence improve the quality of smile and do not affect the facial appearance of the person.
• The functionality of the implants is also similar to that of the real teeth, and thus the person can speak and eat naturally without having any trouble or feeling discomfort.
• Since the implants are drilled inside the jawbone, they provide support to the bone and thus prevent the bone loss.
• Dental implants are cavity proof, decay proof and infection proof, unlike natural teeth.
• In the case of partial dental implants, they provide support to the adjacent teeth preventing them from falling.
• Dental implants can be cleaned in the similar manner as the natural teeth with regular brushing and flossing.
Are there any side effects or risks involved?
Like any other surgery, dental implants have some conditions after the surgery that should be taken care of, though there are no major risks involved in the procedure:
• Bleeding occurs in the first 24 to 48 hours after the procedure and gauze are used to clear the blood from the mouth until the bleeding stops.
• Patients should not bend or lift heavy weight for some time after the surgery. Rest helps in faster and better healing of the gums and jawbone.
• In case of swelling, ice packs can be applied to get relief.
• Some people may develop an allergy because of the metal and must visit the dentist for antibiotic medication to relieve allergies.
What is the aftercare?
Dental implants in Springfield are easy to care for because there are no special tools or chemicals required for cleaning. One may use the regular brushing and flossing as they were using to clean the natural teeth. There are initial post-surgery visits to monitor the healing process and also to check for any infection or other irregularity. During these visits, some dentists also clean the implants. It is also advisable to eat only soft food or liquids for a few days after the procedure. The temperature of the food should also be moderate, neither too cold nor too hot which might interrupt the healing process.
- Things You Should Look for in the Best Dentist It is important to visit the dentist for regular checkups to keep good oral health....
- The Importance of Dental Care to Overall Body Health Dental care in Springfield is not only important for oral hygiene, but it also helps...
- Four Reasons to Choose a Pediatric Dentist Pediatric dentists are specialists who receive additional training to treat the oral health of infants,...
- What Services Does an Emergency Dentist Provide? When you deal with a severe dental issue in the middle of the night or...